Compared with other metals, titanium alloy has the following advantages:
1. High specific strength (tensile strength/density) , tensile strength can reach 100～140kgf/mm2, and the density is only 60% of steel.
2. Medium temperature strength is good, the use temperature is several hundred degrees higher than that of aluminum alloy, it can still maintain the required strength at medium temperature, and can work for a long time at a temperature of 450 to 500 ℃.
3. Good corrosion resistance. A uniform and dense oxide film is immediately formed on the surface of titanium in the atmosphere, which has the ability to resist corrosion by various media. Generally, titanium has good corrosion resistance in oxidizing and neutral media, and has better corrosion resistance in sea water, wet chlorine and chloride solutions. But in reducing media, such as hydrochloric acid and other solutions, the corrosion resistance of titanium is poor.
4. Titanium alloys with good low temperature performance and extremely low interstitial elements, such as TA7, can maintain a certain degree of plasticity at -253℃.
5. Low modulus of elasticity, low thermal conductivity, non-ferromagnetic.
Titanium Alloy are mainly used for structural bearings, high-temperature titanium alloys and structural titanium alloys for the body, corrosion-resistant titanium alloys and high-strength titanium alloys have been further developed.
Titanium alloys are also used to make aircraft engine compressor components, followed by the structural parts of rockets, missiles and high-speed aircraft.
Titanium alloys are widely used in various fields because of their high strength, good corrosion resistance, and high heat resistance.
Now many countries in the world have recognized the importance of titanium alloy materials, have conducted research and development on them, and have been practically applied.